OSCON always pushes the limits in terms of connectivity. Let’s face it, this many geeks, fighting for the available resources. This year has set new records in my frustration to get online.
- The Doubletree (where I am) hotel does not have wireless in the rooms
- They do have wired ethernet, but it’s not free this year
- I can’t connect in my room
- I had to spend several phone calls and lots of time with support
- No rebooting my computer will NOT help in this situation
- FINE, send the tech up to check the wire to the wall
- at least now they are switching rooms to one that has a cable or switch port that will work 🙂
- spr and I wound up playing Apples to Apples with sirhc and some other folks in the lobby while trying to get online.
- They have 179 rooms
- They can have 100 concurrent users 🙂
- But tomorrow there will be twice as many people, in a smaller amount of rooms for the keynote
Basically, if you’re lucky enough to connect to anything but the oscon connection (and it will be this way during the keynotes) you won’t get an IP.