While perusing the web with a neighbor that also served an LDS mission in Brasil, we stumbled upon the churches “Brasilian mormon site”:http://www.mormon.org.br/
Using that I was able to verify the locations of some of my old stomping grounds, as well as see some areas that have grown. I attempted to follow up on some of the addresses with google maps/earth, but they don’t parse brasilian addresses very well. A few of the issues:
* It requires that you write ‘Brazil’ as an American would.
* After that, it doesn’t seem to parse beyond the city address.
* It doesn’t understand state abbreviations, you have to spell them out.
* You can’t use accent characters, even though they are correct
* It has no comprehension of “Bairro”:http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bairro , which is a fundamental part of Brasilian addresses
Still, I was able to find some of what I was looking for, with recent higher-resolution images.
“Capella do Curvelo”:http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=-18.764705,-44.43164&spn=0.003017,0.004887&t=h&om=1
This one is from a special area for me, nice to see they now have an actual chapel!
“Capella das Sete Lagoas : Nova Cidade”:http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Sete+Lagoas+Minas+Gerais+Brazil&ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=-19.43602,-44.236064&spn=0.003005,0.006636&t=h&om=1
My first area, my second ‘house’ was two street over (R. Madri) behind a members house.